Two oldest maine-iacs

Two oldest maine-iacs

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Huricane Irene

When I think hurricane I think of Meghan down on the coast. I envision North Carolina, boarding up windows, mandatory evacuations.... I do not think of Hampden Maine where we are safely tucked away a half hour from the coast. But just when you feel safe! Then come the winds, the rain, we are talking boatloads of rain and flooding and ultimately the loss of power. After 2 1/2 days with no power. Carrying bucket after bucket of water out of the basement I am excited to say we are back on the grid. Thank God!!!!! We will also be purchasing a generator asap. The flooding was made worse by the construction going on but no power = no working sump pump. It also means pumping (still nursing) in the car (tricky when you are watching all three kids). It means explaining repeatedly why those three kids should not 1. open the fridge, 2. flush the toilet 3. run the water and also why NONE of their entertainment devices are working. Even those with battery power eventually die out. This makes for a very loooong 2 1/2 days! Needless to say when I hear hurricane or even tropical storm I will forever be reminded that we may be the frigid north but anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment