Two oldest maine-iacs

Two oldest maine-iacs

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Best Book Club Ever

I love my book club. We have been together on and off for 8-9 years? Definitely before kids, although we took a little hiatus when the first set arrived. We have read some of my all time favorite books and books that I would have never read if it wasnt for our group.

Right now we are reading A World Without End by Ken Follett.  We read Pillars of the Earth last year and we all LOVED it, rather unusual since we usually have mixed reviews. No one has been scared off by the 1400 pages because Mr. Follett weaves such an beautiful and engaging story. Lucky for me my hubby and kids bought me a Kindle for mothers day, so instead of lugging around a giant book I am blessed to have a tiny little slip of an electronic. That combined with my fantastic friend Tammi, who helped me get Pillars and WWEnd for it. (I think she took pity on me after watching me carrying my work bag, breast pump, purse, lunch, and a giant hardcover. When I am packing the kids in the car in the morning it is even worse with two additional back packs, Henry's bag, his bag with clean diapers and sac for dirty ones, and his food and milk. It can take up to three trips, not counting the trip with him in his car seat.)

Some of my favorite books that our club has read are Time Travelor's Wife, Thirteenth Tale, Water for Elephants, 1,000 White Women, Ken Follett's books. Some of the books I wouldnt have ever read without my club: Loving Frank, Eating Kalamazoo, Poisonwood Bible, Olive Kitridge (which I loved!)... The best part about my book club? The women. Such a wide variety of backgrounds, careers, personalities. They bring so much fun and joy to the group. I always look forward to our next meeting, even when I think I know what people are going to report I am always surprised. Do you have a favorite book?

p.s. I see my sister and I are on the same wavelength today. I am going to look up her recommendation this weeknd.  http://homeofthehalls.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Yeah for book club! I have not been to mine since before Griffin was born. Maybe someday I will join back up, but in the mean time I am still reading. I will add a few more of your recommendations to my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete