Two oldest maine-iacs

Two oldest maine-iacs

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Swimming in love

During this time of extreme stress Derek and I have felt nothing but blessed. We may be living in a hotel, eating fast food, herding our children from place to place like nomads but we have ultimately been soo lucky.

We have had people coming out of the woodwork to offer their help during our time of need. Our church community has been fantastic. I have never felt so lucky to belong to such a caring and friendly group.

Our friend's the Bishop family let us live at their house! All five of us and trust me- we are not that quiet. We are anything but unobtrusive. They made us feel nothing but welcome in their space. It was amazing.

Michael's teachers made us meals. Big home cooked piles of comfort food. With love just pouring out.

The cleaning ladies at my work bought an enormous bag of toys to keep the kids occupied while in the hotel. Things to color, to read, robots, balls and squishy toys for Henry. Princesses and pixies for Ava and (of course) cars for Michael.

MamaSue and Patsy have watched the kids, even when Michael was puking - because it wouldnt have been a typical Samoluk disaster without the GI bug thrown in for good measure. And bought them body paints and bath toys to keep them clean and entertained in the tub. Bought Michael a remote control car (direct line to his heart) and kept him for a special big boy only weekend.

My friends called rentals, real estate agents and strangers to enquire about places to for us to live. They helped us find a lawyer (a great one). they covered for me at work when I was running late. They put up with all of our complaints and tears of frustration.

My Dad's endured lengthy phone calls brimming with fatherly advise. They helped walk us through expectations and construction details.

I'll admit it. I did spend a few days feeling sorry for myself. So frustrating after nearly 6 months of living admidst construction to be ousted for something so small but so serious. But after I calmed down and thought about it I realized: We are all alive. We are all together. And we can afford it. We dont want to because it wasn't our fault, but we can. And then with all the support and all the caring from all of those around us -how could we not be happy?

4 comments:

  1. You guys are troopers! So proud of you hanging in there, I think I would have had a major meltdown and several mini ones along the way. Wish we could be more help. Love ya
    Oh and package is in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure! (?) Always wishing you well and hope this is over and the stress forgotten in no time! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been in our thoughts and prayers. I wish we were closer and could help. So glad God has put so manyamazing people in your lives! So glad you can see God's blessing in middle of the storm. We love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that so many have come to your aid. Thank you one and all for assisting my loved ones in their time of nee. My thought has always been that if I help a family in need here in my own town, God will put someone there to help you. He does indeed hear and answer prayers.

    ReplyDelete